Saturday 3 October 2009

Beijing, October 2009

What can I say? I texted my very own Fairy Godmother today in a legal drug-induced haze from beneath my quilt asking that she call 999 on my behalf. In this frenzied trip, I had imagined that my Big Pixie had flattened Gonzo in just over an hour, 3 and 4, after 6 defeats at his hands. My Big Pixie had been totally in command throughout the match and had played magnificently. The first serve was flawless and in the 5th game of the first set, he'd manfully pushed aside any opportunity to choke and lose the match thereon in.

I was aghast. My head was befuddled with snot and Lem-Sip. And I'd just avoided a crisis when I realised the hankies were downstairs at match point. After a blast into a lone hankie lurking in my pocket, I came to my senses and realised that this was in fact, reality. My Big Pixie was back. He meant business. At last.

I was brought back to earth with a bump when I realised that not only would he be playing Rafa in the quarters, I had already announced my martyred return back to work tomorrow and would now not be privvy to seeing the match. (What an arse).

I shall be checking live scores tomorrow and crying into my keyboard, irrespective of the score, as I will not be witnessing the match. (What an arse).

Coaching tips to be ignored by my Big Pixie, as ever. Git.

Try to keep the ball low - Rafa's wee knees are struggling these days.
Keep the rallies going - as above. Remember, you are an expert at coming in these days.
Focus - you have got absolutely nothing to lose.
Go for it - play your shots. You're amazing ... when you don't think about it too much.

FG

PS Serena lost today. What a shame.

5 comments:

  1. Post-match press conference

    Marat Safin defeated Fernando Gonzalez
    (6-3/6-4) and advanced to the quarterfinal.

    Q: What was the key of winning today's match and what do you anticipate for your match versus Nadal?
    A: My serve, to be confident on the baseline was the key. It's mostly the serve. Well Nadal is tough to match but he's still there, fighting. He's dangerous; that's why he's number one in the world. It's complicated. I have to play really well to have a chance against him.

    Q: Can you just talk about the crowd throughout the tournament, especially tonight? Do you expect that same amount of support when you play Nadal?
    A: I'm very pleased they are there to support me. I really appreciate that they've been very supportive and very nice to me. So hopefully they'll be very supportive tomorrow. I'm sure Nadal has a lot of fans here. He deserves to have a lot of supporters.

    Q: Any extra motivation to play Nadal tomorrow knowing there may be fewer chances to play one of the best right now?
    A: I know I will play better tomorrow. Nadal is going to be the favorite. I have no pressure; I'm just going to play my game, go for it, be aggressive and then we'll see. It's going to be my biggest match in a long time so I'm pretty excited.

    Q: You had a very exciting performance today, and we enjoyed today's match. Are you going to stay in tennis for a longer time?
    A: I don't think today's match is going to be the key to my entire career. I have no pressure. If I were playing to defend something, it would be different. I would get nervous. It would be a whole different ball game but now it’s practice.

    Q: Any regrets in last season or in your career?
    A: I don't have any disappointments this year. Even though I had some close matches I was 20 in the world in May. If I had won them, I'd be around 15 in the world but otherwise I played very well. I go on the courts and practice and do my job in the gym. I'm happy with myself, happy with the last year. I'm still 52 in the world, so it's not a bad ranking to finish my career.

    FG

    Can someone tell my Big Pixie that Rafa ain't number one in the men's game? And I'll give him number 52 ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe...you poor thing!! if I were you, i would claim "Relapse' and make sure I was watching...come on, the Big Yin's FG should pull a sickie and be snorting some fairy dust to boot!!
    it was a beautiful thing to watch him playing without fear last night, for the first time in...well....hard to say...could be that now he really IS 'on the home straight" he can finally do what he has kept saying he's doing without really giving us any evidence that he IS ...doing - namely - playing with nothing to lose, no PRESSURE....and finding a headspace that lets his body do what his mind has been stopping him from doing all to often in the last three or four years.......can he keep that mental attitude against Nadal...if he DOES....I sense an fairy-like 'upset' could be very much on the cards....here's hoping!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inez, the relapse was suggested by several people ... I had to resist the temptation, much as I would have loved to watch my Big Pixie take on the bull, my conscience wouldn't allow it.

    What an arse.

    Enjoyed the 'bye bye' ceremony though - it's all on You Tube. Will he ever realise how much he is loved and appreciated by so many tennis fans? Made me smile when the fan vids were played. Especially liked the 'retirement is not the end' comment. Too true, make the most of it Big Yin.

    FG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lou, his net approaches were 'just wow'?

    I MISSED 'wow' net approaches? Bloody typical.

    Anybody know where I can get the video?

    FG

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.